Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Day 193 Sochi, Russia


























































































































































Today was a bit of a challenge… First of all, I have been feeling like crap ever since I
got back from Egypt. It feels like I’m coming down with pneumonia…. Anyway, my
tour wasn’t until 1:30 and I went back and forth all day as to whether I’d go ashore or
not. I finally did but not at 1:30. The Russian Immigration Officials set the process for
getting off the ship as difficult as they could make it. It seems funny that a city that was
selected to host the 2014 Winter Olympics has so much difficulty allowing people into
their country. Sochi is a beautiful place but the tour itself left a lot of room for
improvement. It was pretty much a bust. I did enjoy seeing the scenery even if it was
through dirty, fogged up bus windows…. Tomorrow we will be in Sevastopol, Ukraine.
Here is a description of the tour:
Best of the Crimean Riviera
Don’t miss the opportunity to visit the famous resort of Yalta—heart of the Ukrainian Riviera and the favorite summer residence of the Romanov czars. Follow the spectacular coastline to the Swallow’s Nest castle that was built in 1912, but looks like a medieval castle, complete with bastions and battlements, high atop the 40-metre Aurora cliff of Cape Ai-Todor. Next, you will visit Livadia Palace, the famous summer residence of the last Russian Emperor, Nicholas II, designed in the Italian Renaissance style with Byzantine, Arabian and Gothic features. This was the site of the 1945 Yalta Conference, where Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin outlined the future of postwar Europe. See the restored White Hall where the conference took place and the Czar’s Gala Study. Enjoy a short visit to a shopping area to shop for locally crafted mementos of your visit followed.
I’m particularly interested in seeing the Swallow’s Nest. The photo I saw of it looked like it was precariously perched on a cliff, very cool……

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

Wow - the photos! I am sure my dad would confirm, but that photo of the metal man on the bench with the fish is TOTALLY amazing and I would LOVE to get a copy of that photo to blow up and frame - it has "Dani" written all over it.

I know your reality of living on a ship as long as you have now may be a bit much on some days, but I can assure you from the outside looking in - it looks like a fantasy/dream come true and I am betting almost any of us reading your blog and seeing your incredible photos would trade places in a heartbeat.

Your camera lens is like a window to the world - thanks for sharing!

Dani

Gr