Saturday, September 22, 2007

Day 2 At sea




Today turned out to be much better than anyone could have expected. Here we are in rough seas, Force 6 winds and in the Pacific pretty far north….. doesn’t sound like a pool day. I was able to get a major Bonus Day today anyway ….. I sat in our special (secret) place, out of the wind (kind of…) and in the sun all day. The ship was pitching so much that the waterfall next door was flooding the deck and hitting me with a fine spray to ensure I wouldn’t get overheated…. Marvelous! I was actually the only one on the ship catching rays today. This was actually a bigger challenge than the day it was 42 degrees during our crossing the Atlantic during the world voyage. People generally thought I was nuts as they walked by in their artic gear watching me sit there in my bathing suit all oiled up. It was great! If my friend “Whitey” had been onboard he would have been right there with me. It would have been like a springtime day at the lake in Canada, eh. It still feels really strange with this “other” group of people on board. I keep looking for friends to pop up. Even stranger is the impulse I had all day to reach for my cell phone and ring somebody up…. isolation is beginning to set in. We have a lot of days at sea before we hit Petropavlovsk, Russia. It could be a battle to continue to get sun along the way for a while. The rocking and rolling of the ship have exceeded, by far, anything we had experienced on the World Voyage. It’s not bad for me personally, I slept like a baby. Yesterday, I mentioned that I had seen a few crew I remembered from the World Voyage but not too many. Bruce, the Cruise Director, told me that Elizabeth and Lori from the activities staff would be back and that is nice…. They are a riot! Here’s to an unseasonably warm day tomorrow aboard the ms Amsterdam at sea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell me big brother, when you get to Russia and all of your fellow shipmates are dressed like a scene from Dr. Zhivago, will you still be in your swim suit hoping for another "Bonus Day"? Silly question...Enjoy!

Your loving sister,