Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Day 18 Cheju Island, South Korea

















































Today started out pretty dismal…. We arrived into port around 0700 and it was very overcast and pouring rain. We were catching the effects of the Typhoon. Despite a slow start it turned out to be a pretty good day all things considered. I left on my tour about 0945 heading for Ilchul land, a botanical garden that also is the location for the Micheon cave. It was a lovely site, despite the occasional rain showers. The caves were formed as a result of volcanic action…. Lava tubes that are very, very old. It wasn’t quite Japan but the gardens, waterfalls and fountains were lovely just the same. The image in the statue is the grandfather stone, a symbol of Cheju and fertility symbol..... reminds me of my buddy Randy. It was a short stay here with all aboard at 1300 hours. Tomorrow is a day at sea…. Hope we are out from under the Typhoon. More importantly, on Friday in Xingang I leave the ship for 4 days to explore Beijing including the Great Wall and then fly to Xian to see the Terra Cotta warriors…..that’s when I don’t need any weather issues.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now how did I figure you would say the statue reminded you of Randy?

Anonymous said...

A four day excursion in seach of a beach with the sun out?

Good Luck Jeff and wonderful shots as always.

Anonymous said...

I do see a strong resemblance. Maybe you should do some research and see if perhaps the fertility symbol statue is possibly Randy's ancestor?

Your loving sister,