Sunday, October 28, 2007

Day 37 Bali, Indonesia




































Today had a very slow start to it. We were notified that all tender operations were on hold because of low tides (looks like someone didn’t do their homework). Apparently last night they ran a tender aground… as a matter of fact, when I went in last night my tender hit a rock going in. Finally, around 0830 we got the call to head down to the gangway. Once again, my tender hit a rock but this was far more dramatic. The rock lifted on side of the tender up as we slide over it. I think some tender repairs will be in order. Once we got ashore things didn’t get much better. This place was so jammed up with cars and buses we couldn’t move. Finally, some guys literally picked up a car that was blocking our way and moved it about 3 feet…. Amazing. Once we were off we went to a place to see the Barong dance. It was interesting but sitting in the heat the interest level began to fade as time went on. Then it was off to see the village of Mas which is basically where the wood carvers live. I actually did buy a carving…. They are exceptional. We were running very late at this point so the schedule was changed a bit and we headed to the slopes of Mt Batur (a volcano inside a volcano) for lunch. After lunch we went to a very interesting place, Tirta Empul, a 1000 year old temple with a holy spring. Our final stop was at the village of Ubud, a center for painters…. It was a very long day but interesting. I believe I’ll get a little rest in the next two days at sea.
Did anyone notice that I slipped in a couple of photos of my buddy Randy?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I noticed. I must say that is the best I have seen Randy look in years.
Fantastic photos once again.

Your loving sister,