Thursday, January 10, 2008

Day 112 Fuerte Amador, Panama










































































































Last night Sandra, Allan & I went ashore around 0830. We went to a restaurant called Alberto’s… It was a fabulous night. The evening was very comfortable. It was almost like there wasn’t any humidity which is pretty strange for Panama. This morning we went ashore around 0830 and hooked up a guide for a tour of Panama. We first went to Colonial Panama which shows the French influence. At times it looked like we were in the French Quarter in New Orleans. They are doing quite a bit of restoration work which is really needed. The nicer areas are very lovely. Next we headed into the modern part of Panama along Balboa Blvd so I could get a shot of the statue of Balboa. It is closed for renovation but a got a bit of a shot anyway. Then it was off to Old Panama, Casco Viejo, where the original Spanish settlers lived. It was destroyed in 1671 by Henry Morgan the pirate. This is also where Balboa met his demise… The view from the top of the tower was pretty cool. We then went and shopped a little (very little) and it was back to Fuerte Amador. We went to a fantastic restaurant and had a nice long, leisurely lunch before returning to the ship. If it weren’t for my passion for this blog I would probably be taking a nap right now…… Super day!

6 comments:

CINGULARONE said...

Jeff,

All of us 'jealous followers' appreciate you skipping your nap to keep us up to date with your fantastic voyage.

On our last trip through the canal, Van Halen's 'Panama' kept running through my head. Evidently I sang it out loud quite a few times, the older cruise passengers weren't sure what was wrong with me.

Hope all is well-

Dennis

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,
Enjoying your trip and pictures.
Watched you transit the Miraflores locks yesterday on the Canal's webcam. Glad the weather held for you, it was raining in the afternoon at Gatun.
Looking forward to New Zealand pictures.
BVH- Groton, CT

Anonymous said...

Impressive Jeff and must say judging by the pics your becoming quite the tourist.
Glad to see you have company and also enjoy time with them. Nice to see.
Come on where are the beach shots....
Take care Jeff.

PS: Looking forward to Melbourne pics. South Yarra is the old stomping grounds.

Anonymous said...

Jeff:

I too watched the Panama Canal Web Cam as you passed thru - don't tell my boss.

Glad to hear you're having a great time with your friends. Keep the pic's coming - I actually made one of your 'fish' shots my desktop page - go figure - I guess I miss my snorkeling............Jim

P.S. I hope that Holly is still keeping Crayola in your future......

Anonymous said...

Well Mr. Mayor if Jeff doesn't get some beach time pretty soon, I'll have to submit "fading fast" as a new color!

Anonymous said...

A NAP BEFORE BRONZING??? You must be coming down with something!