Friday, February 15, 2008

Day 147 At Sea




Today, unfortunately, was another dismal day. It was overcast, cold and windy. Other than that the weather was great. Last night we had a magnificent dinner at the Pinnacle Grill celebrating Allan & Sandra’s 34th anniversary of immigrating to the USA from Scotland. It was, of course, also Valentine’s Day so it was a formal night and they had a Ball. It was a lovely night spent with many great friends…..
I was also disappointed to hear today from the tour operator in Canada who arranged my side trips that our arrival into Phu My Vietnam was slipped from 0600 to 0830. I won’t be able to make my flight to Cambodia now…. Bummer! It’s a shame that the front office here on the ship was unaware of the change. I even asked Irene who runs the HAL shore excursions if she knew of the change and she didn’t… pretty poor! It would have been nice to have been given advance notice by Holland America. Thank heaven I have a tour operator in Canada that knows more about what is going on….. I hope I can work something out or I won’t be going to see Angkor Wat in Cambodia. Maybe I’ll have my tour operator put HAL on his distribution list…. Tomorrow we arrive in our last Australian port, Fremantle & Perth. Tomorrow I will be taking a ship’s tour. I’ll be checking out the countryside and wildlife going to Yanchep National Park. Here is the ship’s description: Board a minicoach at the pier and drive north along the coast from Fremantle, passing Cottlesloe and Scarborough Beaches. Head inland, traveling through the low scrub terrain that characterizes the bush of Yanchep National Park. During your visit to the park, take a pleasant walk through the reserve that is home to koala, kangaroo, emu and other native wildlife. Keep your eyes peeled for the late-blooming colorful wildflowers for which Western
Australia is famous. Then, participate in an Aboriginal Cultural Interaction as a guide explains the elusive concept of the Dreamtime—a rich matrix of creation myth, custom and belief that constitutes the core of traditional Aboriginal life. From the park, continue on to serene Lake Monger. This popular lake outside Perth is famed for its regal black swans. A picnic lunch will be served at Kings Park, across the Swan River from Perth. The park offers a true bush experience but also includes lovely gardens on Mt. Eliza. After lunch, you’ll have a chance to stroll through the gardens for panoramic view of Perth before returning to the ship.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

Don't worry, we will work it out and you will get to go on your trip.

Anonymous said...

PS. I can't tell from the picture,I hope that bowtie and cumberbund is red????