Sunday, February 24, 2008

Day 156 Maura, Brunei












































































































































































I took off this morning on my tour as advertised but…… we had torrential downpours. It did improve fairly quickly as the day went on so it wasn’t too bad. The trip from the port, Muara, to Bandar, the capital was fairly pleasant. My favorite stops for the day were first of all the market. This place was lively indeed. The spices and dried fish, shrimp and other assorted items made for a colorful scene. There were many local people doing their shopping and it was very lively. The location, next to the river, was very convenient for bringing products to market and the people living in the water village going to and fro. Next on my list of favorites definitely was the Jarne Asr’ Hassanril Bolkiah Mosque. This has to be one of the most beautiful mosques in the world. The detailed mosaic exterior is spectacular. Finally, we went to the Water Village where…… people live on the water in houses built on stilts. It is pretty amazing and the longboats (taxis) zipping around with reckless abandon makes it all the better. I really enjoyed my visit to Brunei…. Too bad I missed the Sultan. I did see countless (very large) posters with his smiling face on them. This guy has really done a nice job in taking care of the people of Brunei…… Nice place. Oh Yeah, I almost forgot….. I didn’t run into Michael Jackson either…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice pictures, please tell us what type of camera and lens you are using.

Jeff Farschman said...

Mostly I use a Nikon D300 with an 18-200 mm lens. Sometimes I use a Nikon S3 or S10. Underwater photos are with the S3 or Olympus Stylus 770 SW