Sunday, November 4, 2007

Day 44 Cairns Australia









































































































































One of my dreams came true today, to snorkel the Great Barrier Reef. Earlier this year I had a false start….. actually came to the Great Barrier Reef but due to really crappy sea and weather conditions the snorkeling was virtually non-existent. Today could not have been better conditions for snorkeling. The weather was sunny and clear and the seas calm…. Simply perfect! We left at 0900 aboard a Catamaran and arrived about 90 minutes later along side a permanently fixed pontoon. I snorkeled the reefs around the pontoon and then in the afternoon I took a boat to the outer reefs and was dropped off. We snorkeled all the way back to the pontoon…. Great stuff! I saw sharks, humongous fish and amazing corals. This was a really amazing experience! Last night I had a huge problem. I went to get my gear out for today and discovered that my underwater enclosure for photography had a broken latch. Somehow IPS broke it on the way here. I went to the photo shop and bought a new underwater camera, the Olympus Stylus 770 SW which is good to 10 meters, enough for snorkeling. I wasn’t too happy with the photos today; perhaps I need another solution…. Fabulous day!!!!!! Tomorrow is a day at sea as we make our way to Sydney....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I for one was not one bit disappointed in your pictures. They are fantastic! What an experience. I'm so glad I get to go along for the ride.

Bill & Mary Ann said...

Hi Jeff,

We have been enjoying your blog! Your pictures of the reef are super. We just bought that same camera, but have not used it yet.
We're on our way to Auckland, then will sail back to LA via Polynesia, the Cook Islands, and the Marquesas at the end of November. So we hope the camera works as well for us.
Carry on the good work!