Friday, November 30, 2007

Day 71 Santa Cruz, Huatulco



























Today was a day full of mixed emotions…. I woke up this morning all excited about visiting a new port, Santa Cruz, Huatulco. I signed up for a Holland America shore excursion called Sailing Adventure. It was to be a sail aboard a 44 foot cutter sloop sailboat and journey across some of the best Bays Huatulco has to offer. There was a little beach & swimming involved, right up my alley. Imagine my surprise when I went off the ship to join my excursion and was first asked to sign a release. I couldn’t imagine what this was for but no big deal, except….. I read it! They were asking for a release of liability for the tour operator and of course Holland America even in the situation where they were negligent… I couldn’t imagine they would ask such a thing. The ensuing circus was great to behold.. The tour operator basically said we don’t need no stinking release, Holland America insists on it or we don’t get paid. I then went to the Shore Excursion Rep who said it’s the Tour Operators issue. I stood there watching the fingers pointed at each other and said “I’m not signing it!” They said fine, we’ll give you your money back. I was so disappointed. I had really planned on taking this tour especially since my Dutch friends were going. I am even more distressed with the fact that I have over a year’s worth of cruising on the books right now going forward with Holland America. If they are going to expect me to release them from negligent actions we will soon part ways. I hope this was just some idiotic mistake or in some way I misunderstood it (fat chance). Anyway, a slow start to a day I really looked forward to on this trip. So what to do???? I went over to some nice Mexican chap and asked to go for a cruise of Huatulco’s Bays. We agreed on a price, filled out no forms and took off. The coast and bays are lovely. We even came across a large pod (school?) of dolphins, very cool. After getting back I wandered the shops for a bit and then just baked the rest of the day…..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bet the issue with the rash was gone when reading the "release"!
Your not on a roll with Ship Excursions. Seems on the last World Voyage you had issues.
No worries as the next few weeks have your old stoping grounds so I would imagine NO ship excursions.
Can see you on Palm Beach chasing money blowing into the waves again!
Enjoy Jeff.
By the way to make your day even better it's -22 windchill here today. I think I make Casper look dark today!

Jeff Farschman said...

You are definitely right about Aruba.... Palm Beach it is. This time maybe I'll hold on to my money a little better. You would enjoy the weather we have been having.... very hot! Take care buddy, stay warm