Thursday, March 6, 2008

Day 167 Siem Reap, Cambodia

Incredible! You can call me the Iron man…. I completed most of my 3 day adventure in one day, in incredibly hot and humid weather. It had to be in the 90s….. My guide & driver picked me up at 0730 this morning and we were off. Our first stop was the South Gate of Angkor Thom which was incredible. I love all those faces. Next we were off to the Bayon Temple. That is the temple you may have seen in tourist literature where there are 200 giant faces and 29 towers…. Very cool. Next we explored the Baphoun Temple. I’m going to stop saying how amazing everything was and jut tell you where I went. I will post a separate blog for each temple for photos. Bear with me…. It may take several hours to get all the posts in. Anyway, next was the King’s Palace (Pmimeanakas) followed by the Terrace of Elephants and the adjacent Terrace of the Leper King. Next we went to Thommanom, Chau Say Tevada and then Ta Keo. Our next stop, Ta Prohm was a personal highlight for me. This is the temple being destroyed by Banyan trees growing though the structure. It was the temple featured in the film Tomb Raider. Next we went through the East Gate of Angkor Thom and then back into Angkor Wat. I am currently taking a break before I get picked up again at 5:00 for one more visit to Angkor Wat to go up the mountain to get a sunset view. Then it’s off for a massage before our dinner and show….. What a day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carefully now Ironman - you know that iron rusts and that will mess with the tan.

What a fantastic side trip - thanks for taking us along!!! I'm exhausted for you.

Anonymous said...

WOW is all I can say Jeff.
But do have a question for you?
Do you have spell check?
With those names I would be totally ^%$#ed.
Now tell the truth about the shot near the roots! Catching rays I know you....

Whitey