Saturday, March 29, 2008

Day 190 Istanbul, Turkey


























































































































































Today we sailed into Istanbul, Turkey and the experience was amazing….. Seeing the Sultanahmet (aka Blue Mosque) with it’s 6 minarets), St Sophia (Hagia Sophia), Topkapi Palace, Galeta Tower and the Suleymaniye Mosque was quite impressive…… I was in awe as we sailed into this port. It is truly one of the best sail-ins I have seen. Our plan today was to spend the bulk of the day at the Grand Bazaar. We arrived there probably around 10:00 and I was immediately blown away. This place is beyond huge…. Simply amazing. They have specialized sections like Turkish carpets, leather goods, jewelry, etc. There is over four thousand shops and stalls in this place. I spent about 4 hours there with Sandra, Allan and Betty. I was wearing out so I left and rested for a bit. I headed out from the Bazaar to get a close up with Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. I go on a tour tomorrow where I will get a more in depth look. I decided to go into the Basilica Cisterns built in 532 A.D. I really enjoyed the two columns that had a the head of Medusa at the bottom (one upside down and on sideways). My first day in Istanbul was spectacular…..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see a new addition to the photos Jeff...

Long pants and coats...

Are you hanging in and welcome to north America Temps...