Friday, March 7, 2008

Tonle Sap Lake, Cambodia


























After visiting Pre Rup I decided that this temple thing could go on forever and I was coming close to maxing out all my photo memory cards so I called it a day for temples. It was time to go to Tonle Sap Lake and see how the people who live on the water live. It took us about 40 minutes to get there and the drive was very interesting. I saw all kinds f houses on stilts and some which were very tiny. I was amazed on some how small a diameter some of the poles used for stilts had. The trip out on the lake, in my own private yacht…. OK, so it wasn’t a yacht but rather a fairly small boat with one of those long shafts for the prop. The lake is fairly shallow. I could occasionally see someone standing it the water and it looked like about a meter deep. We stopped about half way through our journey at a fish (and crocodile) farm. It also happened to be a restaurant and souvenir shop. The trip to the lake was wonderful.. It certainly was a big change for “Temple” boy from the last couple of days. I have a flight tonight at 7:15 to Singapore to rejoin the ms Amsterdam. I don’t get into Singapore until 10:30 so it will be at least midnight before I get to my cabin… After my 0430 wakeup this morning I’m sure I’m going to be bushed….

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'd like bathing too much in the rivers of Cambodia. It looks like the Dad is picking up his kid and will be throwing him in the water. Guess they can clean their clothes at the same time.

Truly, I loved seeing this set of photos. Seeing how the people of these countries live is amazing. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Holly I agree as looks as if they all bathed at once?

But thats the real worl we live in.
They seem happy and no one bitching about much... Other than tourist taking photo's covered in lotion?