Monday, March 17, 2008

Day 178 Mumbai (Bombay), India



















Today I decided to tour around Mumbai on my own. I have been here before and have seen many of the sights and wanted to see more. I started out going to Victoria Railway Terminus which is a very impressive and was opened in 1887 to honor the Queen’s golden jubilee. Next, I went to the Crawford Market, not to buy anything but to see the local markets. We then went along the Marine Drive and past Chowpatty Beach. I could never swim in a beach who’s name looks remarkably like Cow Patty….. Then we went to the Hanging Gardens up on Malabar Hill. The view from up there was fabulous…. I then went to the Mahalaxmi Temple, dedicated to Laxmi, goddess of wealth. I was a bit sad that photos were not allowed. I then went to one of my favorites, dhobi ghats, where laundry from all over Mumbai is brought to be washed, beaten against rocks like crazy and dried. Amazing place…..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see you captured the many sides of life in this series Jeff.
Well done.

My one question would be...
Could you not wait till you got back to the ship to get cleaned up?

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,

The pics are terrific, sorry about the cancelled balloon flight. That would have been great. I am trying to keep current. It is a wonderful record of your trip.

Jan