Friday, March 14, 2008

Dy 175 Kathmandu, Nepal
































Boy, did I have an amazing day? Yes I did! First thing this morning I went to the airport to check in with Buddha Air for my flight to Mt. Everest and the Himalayan Mountains. It was looking like a cancellation because we were totally socked in. Then they said let’s go…. They did say that there were only about 5 peaks visible and gave us the option to cancel. Since Everest was one…. I went. It was amazing, I’ve posted a separate section just for a few Everest and Himalayan Mountain photos below ( they tell there own story). After returning to the hotel for breakfast and checkout (staying in the Himalayans tonight), we headed out to Kathmandu’s Durbur Square (old palace. This place was like traveling back in time….. When you think about how many centuries this place has been here it just boggles the mind. After checking out the temples, amazing architecture and people, we went to the Bhimsen Stambha Tower, great view but I was huffing and puffing….. At both the tower and old city of Kathmandu the people watching was amazing… especially like the Sadhu, wandering Hindu holy men, very colorful…. Great look! Last but not least, we drove to the other side of Kathmandu and went to another Buddhist Temple. This time it was the Bodhnath Stupa, built somewhere around 600 AD. It is the largest Stupa in Nepal. It does look a lot like the Swayambhunath Temple I visited yesterday but this in many respects was even more amazing. I was even climbing on it just below the Stupa itself. After spending some amazing time there we headed for Nagorkot up in the mountains. I’m spending the night hoping for a clear morning to catch sunrise on the Himalayas… Pretty sure at this point that is not going to happen… bummer! The drive to Nagorkot was very interesting… the villages and beautiful landscapes…. Great trip. After arriving here I took a hike into the village, took some photos and hung out with the locals for a while…. Let’s hope for a clear morning. Oh yeah, a travel tip... if you are in Nagorkot and order a diet coke check the date. I got one today that expired back in 2006... lucky I looked first!

No comments: