Saturday, March 15, 2008

Day 176 Kathmandu, Nepal























Today was going to be great and wear me out at the same time. First was my morning hike at Nagorkot (post below) and then it was on to tour the other two cities around Kathmandu; Bhakatpur and Patan. Our first stop on the way back from Nagorkot was Bhakatpur, the third major town in the valley. Here the cobblestones streets linking various squares, including the Durbar Square, and Temples is simply amazing. The buildings are in fairly reasonable shape due to a restoration projection funded by Germany in the 70s. Between the buildings and people I certainly experienced some sensory overload. I have included some photos of the sights of Bhakatpur in this posting. As we were starting to travel to our next stop my guide pointed out a couple of temples that had been overgrown by Banyon trees. This was even more amazing than Ta Prohm in Cambodia. Since these temples were small they have been completely enclosed by the tree…. Next up was Patan….. It is adjacent to Kathmandu, separated by the Bagmati River. Here, in the Durbar Square, is the most amazing collection of temples…. I was loving it despite getting a little weary in the legs after many miles today. I have put photos of Patan in the post below…. Tomorrow is my last day in Kathmandu I’m off to Mumbai to rejoin the ms Amsterdam and relate my adventures with my friends….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't believe you'll be home soon (I know - don't remind you). I will miss these spectacular photos. It will, however, be nice to get the big box of Power Oil out from under my desk!

Love ya.