Saturday, December 29, 2007

Day 100 Puerto Limon, Costa Rica
























































Well can you imagine that…. 100 days already. It doesn’t seem like more than 96. Time can be very deceiving! Today we arrived very early into Puerto Limon, Costa Rica. The town here isn’t much, very run down and dilapidated. This is more of a launching point for Eco-Tourism excursions. I have done a few and they generally can be very good. Today I decided to just go into the town in the morning since we kept having waves of torrential rains. That actually happens in the tropical rainforest regions from time to time…. Not sure why. The morning was on and off with the rain showers and I actually went into town twice just for photos. I even took several of a sloth in a tree but he (or she) wouldn’t cooperate for the great portrait shot.
Let’s talk about the first 100 days for a moment. Holland America gets an “A+” for the food, service and itinerary. I can’t say enough great things about the staff…. The ship is ,in my opinion kept up exceptionally well. My cabin is great… just right. Their performance generally is just tremendous! Holland America on the other hand gets an “F” for the aft deck chairs because they are extremely uncomfortable, bad for people with back conditions and fall apart constantly. There is nothing like seeing an elderly passenger struggle to get the chair put back together just in the end to give up in frustration. I have personally helped countless people put chairs together but should I have to???? I think not! Their other failing grade comes in the “high speed” internet arena because they promise a lot and deliver very little. I don’t need to tell them that. Despite all their advertising to the contrary they know the internet service is poor. I hate to say this but poor performance in the end just means more revenue for HAL. The only other negative during the first 100 days was not feeling very welcome by the Captain and his senior staff. The Captain wouldn’t even say hello as I passed him during the day. He never once uttered my name. I found this unlike and other experience I’ve had on long stays on ships. The first Captain (and staff) gave the impression that if you weren’t in a suite or Dutch that you really didn’t matter. In this day of cost cutting in business to improve margins it is important to remember that it costs absolutely nothing to be polite and to make your customers feel that they are welcome and important to you. This feeling of being unwelcome changed immediately when Captain Edward van Zaane took command. I was warmly greeted and had a nice chat the first day. I have had the opportunity to chat with the Captain and his lovely wife Apollonia on a couple of other occasions. Nice people! That being said, I still think Holland America is great. They just need some honest feedback occasionally to understand where they are falling short. I have truly loved my first 100 days. I especially liked my visits in Japan & China, and amazing adventure. Next Friday I sail away from Ft. Lauderdale on the 2008 World Voyage…. Can’t wait for the second half of my sailing adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

Well written. Buddy and I have loved your blog and are happy you have had a good first 100 days. We are excited for you that the World is about to begin. I know you will be happy to see Alan and Sandra plus other cute friends. Now that the time is here - I am really sorry we are not sailing with you. We hate missing this big adventure, but will continue to experience it vicariously. Thank you for your time and effort. Happy New Year!
Love, Lynn