Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Day 76 Fuerte Amador, Panama




































Today we arrived in Fuerte Amador, Panama early in the morning. It’s about twenty minutes from Panama City. I signed up for a tour of Panama City. Here is the description: “In 1513, Vasco Nuñez de Balboa was the first European to see the
Pacific. Panama City, originally founded just six years later, was
destroyed and replaced by the Casco Antiguo, or Colonial City,
in 1673. This city has now been declared a UNESCO World
Heritage Site, and features exquisite French, Italian and Spanish
architecture. Admire Saint Joseph’s Church with its Golden Altar
(rescued from Welshman Henry Morgan’s attack on Old
Panama), the Cathedral on Independence Plaza, and the recently
opened Inter-oceanic Canal Museum. Nearby, you will find the
National Theater and the French Plaza which boasts a great view
of the modern city.” As you can see it was quick look at the highlights of Panama City from the old city destroyed by Henry Morgan in 1671, the Colonial Panama along with modern day Panama. My take is that Panama City looks better from a distance. Up close there is a lot of poverty, too much traffic…. they have a ways to go. It is much better than Colon on the Atlantic side but still would not be a big draw for me. I think you are better served in Amador with the shops and restaurants along the shore. Panama City is worth a look but I wouldn’t go there as a destination. I did enjoy the visit to Casco Viejo (the old city) where you can still see some of the remaining remnants of the old city. Tomorrow we travel through the Panama Canal. You can look for us at http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Jeff, your photos are fantastic! We wanted to take this tour but it was sold out. Feels like we were there by seeing your photos. Love the blog! See you at dinner!

Meg & Kev

Anonymous said...

So what time do I have to set my alarm clock for to watch the webcam? I'll leave it for you to calculate, remember I'm now on Central time.

Anonymous said...

Stunning ... amazing shot of the girl. So when are you going to publish this wonderful treasure trove?

Roma :)

Anonymous said...

I do believe I saw you (ok the ship) locking through. Looks like at about 8:12 am Central time you were out of the Miraflores lock. I did click on the high resolution tab, but didn't see you along the decks anywhere. Was looking for the guy with the darkest tan. Anyhow, letting the last 20 images roll was cool. You breezed right through in record time.

Jeff Farschman said...

I won't be publishing.... just for me. If I tried to do otherwise it would be work. I am done with work.

Anonymous said...

But if you publisdhed would you sign the release?