Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Day 90 At Sea


Today was a slice of perfection….. Perfect weather! Today also brought back a lot of old memories. In 1997 I moved to Chesapeake Virginia to be closer to my parents. The job I took to enable that move was the Program Director of the Tethered Aerostat Radar System Program. It was a network of tethered “Blimps” with radars to detect drug trafficking across the U.S and Puerto Rico. Today we were sailing along when I looked at my GPS and saw we were off the southern coast of Puerto Rico. I looked in the appropriate direction and sure enough there flying high in the sky was an aerostat. It brought back some fond memories because I still know many people who work on that program…. Small world! Tonight, formal night and the Pinnacle Grill, should be a great evening..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh your the guy I thank for the 10 years of free accomodation!

CINGULARONE said...

Jeff,

Really small world. I received my degree from the University of Akron, home to the Rubber Bowl, the not so mighty Zips, and a plethora of blimps. It was almost a normal occurance to see the blimps flying over campus on clear days. Now living in Orlando, we still see them occasionaly. I always thought it would be a good business venture to purchase a blimp and take tourists in rides. You would not beleive the hassles, the red tape and the amount of cash it would take to get this off the ground (pun intended).

Hope all is well, enjoy the sun.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

And as we always say, "we never forget who we're tanning for"

Continue to have a great voyage,
Eric and Sally

Rie said...

Jeff/TAZ/CaptainTan: Baaaarrrrbara sent me the pic. How about using your influence to get some aerostat sites in Hawaii, Antigua, Bermuda, New York City, Hong Kong, Italy, Spain, Belize, Charleston, Sidney . . .